Monroe in Monroe County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
First Presbyterian Church
This Church, the first Protestant Church in this area and the first Presbyterian Church in Michigan, was organized January 13, 1820. “Minuteman” George Alford, of the Revolutionary War, was one of the charter members.
The Rev. John Monteith, who later became the first president of the University of Michigan, conducted services here July 2, 1816 in the old log courthouse. In it the Presbyterians organized this church. Its Sunday School, the first in the Great Northwest Territory, was attended by persons of many faiths. They later helped organize the Monroe County Bible Society.
Rev. Monteith dedicated the present building February 15, 1848, Col. Oliver Johnson having donated the site.
It was here that Gen. George Armstrong Custer married Elizabeth Bacon.
Location. 41° 54.903′ N, 83° 23.832′ W. Marker is in Monroe, Michigan, in Monroe County. Marker is at the intersection of Washington Street and East 1st Street, on the left when traveling north on Washington Street. Touch for map. The marker is located on the church grounds, near the intersection of Washington Street and East 1st Street, in front of church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 108 Washington Street, Monroe MI 48161, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Old Whipping Post (a few steps from this marker); Doctor Eduard Dorsch (within shouting distance of this marker); Monroe County Since 1817 (within shouting distance of this marker); Historical Museum (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Historic Crossroad (about 500 feet away); Editor Ellis, 1825 (about 600 feet away); Monroe's Soldiers (about 700 feet away); Monroe Street Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Monroe.
More about this marker. The marker is significantly weathered and the finish is fading.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 22, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 326 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on March 22, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.