San Francisco in San Francisco City and County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
La Misión San Francisco de Asís
—San Francisco Historical Monument Number 1 —
Founded in 1776 by Fray Francisco Palou, OFM and built by people of the Ohlone nation in the village of Chutchui 1788-1791.
To them we pay homage as the founders and first builders of this community and church.
Erected 2011 by Native Sons of the Golden West. (Marker Number 1.)
Location. 37° 45.856′ N, 122° 25.619′ W. Marker is in San Francisco, California, in San Francisco City and County. Marker is on Dolores Street near 16th Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 320 Dolores Street, San Francisco CA 94110, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Guillermo Granizo (here, next to this marker); Fray Francisco Palou, O.F.M. (a few steps from this marker); Misión San Francisco de Asís (within shouting distance of this marker); El Camino Real (within shouting distance of this marker); The Frank J. Portman Memorial Diorama Elixir (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Coast Miwok (approx. Ľ mile away); Site of Original Mission Dolores Chapel and Dolores Lagoon / Rammaytush (approx. Ľ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Francisco.
More about this marker. This marker is located in courtyard between Mission Dolores and the basilica.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Native Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 22, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 306 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 22, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.