Gaffney in Cherokee County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
County Longford, Ireland.
Came to Charleston S.C.
Feb. 3, 1800.
Married Miss. Polly Smith
of Smith's Ford Union County
July 21, 1803.
He established the present
site of Gaffney in 1804.
Was Captain in the war of 1812.
Died Sept. 6, 1854.
Gaffney Family Cemetery.
March 3, 1875
First Town Council
Location. 35° 4.376′ N, 81° 39.07′ W. Marker is in Gaffney, South Carolina, in Cherokee County. Marker is on North Granard Street (U.S. 29) near West Buford Street, on the right. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gaffney SC 29340, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Gaffney (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cherokee County Confederate Monument (about 400 feet away); Gaffney Cornerstone (about 600 feet away); Michael Gaffney (about 600 feet away); Col. James Williams (about 800 feet away); Cherokee County Veterans Monument (about 800 feet away); Carnegie Library (about 800 feet away); First Baptist Church (about 800 feet away); Cherokee County WW I Rememberence (approx. 0.2 miles away); Michael Gaffney Home (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gaffney.
Also see . . .
1. Gaffney, South Carolina. Gaffney is a city located in the Upstate of South Carolina. (Submitted on October 23, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. City of Gaffney. Official website of the City of Gaffney. (Submitted on October 23, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Gaffney, seat of Cherokee County, is a textile manufacturing town and marketing center for farmers. On "Sales Monday" the town resembles an Eastern bazaar; people gather from the surrounding countryside to trade eggs, butter, and livestock for brogans, coffee, and snuff.
Previously called Gaffney's Old Field, the town was named for an Irishman, Michael Gaffney, who settled here in 1804. Hardly had the first little frame shacks been grouped together around the crossroads, than promoters took over Limestone Springs, which they ballyhooed as the South's Saratoga. It was the heyday of mineral therapeutic treatment and plantation owners in the Low Country, plagued every summer by malaria, which they called "country fever" and believed was caused by "miasmas," flocked here to drink the water. A $75,000 hotel was built in 1835, and the town assumed the characteristics of a gay resort. Wealthy patients paid through the nose for the sumptuousness to which they were accustomed at home; the corks of champagne bottles popped at night and race tracks were crowded in the afternoon. the town also became noted for its tilting tournaments, cockfights, and gander pullings, the last a cruel sport in which a plucked and greased gander was suspended mid-air and exposed to competing horsemen who tried to snatch off its head while riding past at a hard gallop. (Source: South Carolina: A Guide to the Palmetto
— Submitted October 23, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 22, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,462 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 22, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 5. submitted on October 23, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.