Hastings in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Potato Capital of Florida
In 1890 Thomas Horace Hastings, a cousin of Henry Flagler, founded the settlement of Hastings. He built the first house and constructed greenhouses to raise early winter vegetables for Flagler’s hotels. The post office was established in 1891. The first school was taught by Mr. Charles Dupont in 1897. Hastings received its town charter in 1909.
With the development and irrigation of the clay subsoil land in this area, a new era in Florida agriculture began in the early 1920’s. Pioneers in this effort were Messrs. U.J. White, W.H. Erwin, Frank Nix and John T. Dismukes. Modern machinery, fertilization and experiment brought potato growing into the realm of scientific farming. Early select potatoes are shipped from here every spring to markets all over the United States.
Erected 1965 by St. Johns County Historical Commission.
Location. 29° 42.7′ N, 81° 30.5′ W. Marker is in Hastings, Florida, in Saint Johns County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street and East Manson Road, on the right when traveling south on South Main Street. Touch for map. The marker is located in front of the St. Johns County Sheriffs Office. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6195 South Main Street, Hastings FL 32145, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. St. Ambrose Parrish (approx. 5.1 miles away); William Bartram Trail (approx. 7.4 miles away); Rollestown (approx. 7.4 miles away); Bronson-Mulholland House (approx. 8.4 miles away); The Spirit of the American Doughboy (approx. 8˝ miles away); St. Mark's Episcopal Church (approx. 8˝ miles away); City of Palatka Florida 9/11 Memorial (approx. 8˝ miles away); Fort Shannon (approx. 8.6 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Town of Hastings History.
The Town of Hastings, Florida, named after Thomas Horace Hastings (1860 - 1897), is located in the agricultural heart of the upper St. Johns River Valley 45 miles south of Jacksonville, 10 miles northeast of Palatka, and 15 miles southwest of St. Augustine. The area was first settled by Native-Americans about 3,500 years ago. After the founding of St. Augustine by the Spanish in 1565, Fort Picolata, about 10 miles nort of present day Hastings, was established on the St. Johns River in the late 1600's. The Fort was burned in 1740 by the British under Oglethorpe during the War of Jenkins' Ear. The Fort was reconstructed in 1755 by the Spanish. (Submitted on April 3, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Hastings - Potato Capitol of Florida.
In 1890, Thomas Horace Hastings, who was a cousin of Henry M. Flagler, established a 1569-acre plantation which (Submitted on April 3, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 3, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 356 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 3, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.