Quincy in Gadsden County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Site of the First Gadsden County Courthouse
This antebellum home is related in style to the early Louisiana plantation houses of the lower Mississippi Valley. Designed to cope with the heat and dampness of the climate, its main living quarters were on the second floor. It rests on land once owned by Robert Forbes, first Gadsden County sheriff, whose house served as a county courthouse in the early 1820ís. Later in the nineteenth century, the property passed into the hands of Hector and William Bruce, grandnephews of Forbes. In 1956, it was purchased by the Quincy Garden Club, and in 1972 was acquired by Talquin Electric Cooperative, Inc. who undertook complete restoration.
Erected 1972 by Sponsored by Talquin Electric Cooperative, Inc, In cooperation with Department of State. (Marker Number F-199.)
Location. 30° 35.152′ N, 84° 35.857′ W. Marker is in Quincy, Florida, in Gadsden County. Marker is at the intersection of West Jefferson Street (U.S. 90) and Camilla Avenue, on the right when traveling west on West Jefferson Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1636 U.S. 90, Quincy FL 32351, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Washington Lodge No. 2 ~ Quincy Woman's Club Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Quincy State Bank (approx. 1.3 miles away); St. Paul's Episcopal Church (approx. 1.3 miles away); Gadsden County (approx. 1.3 miles away); Gadsden County Civil War Monument (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Quincy Academy (approx. 1.3 miles away); Gadsden County War Memorial (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Quincy.
Also see . . . Court Minutes 1824 - Gadsden Territory.
Gadsden was still a Territory at this time and had no complete county government, with employees to do the work. There were just appointed figures, like the judges, sheriff, tax collector, and clerk of the court. The judges would assign men living on the roads to be the overseer of the road maintenance on a certain road. The judge would assign another man to "apportion the hands" on the road for a certain overseer. The phrase "apportion the hands" meant to decide how many hands (workers) would be needed and then request that many slaves of large land owners living near the road when it was time to actually do the work. (Submitted on April 5, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Additional keywords. courthouse
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 3, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 5, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 245 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 5, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.