Brightwood in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Rock on Brightwood Avenue
Battleground to Community
—Brightwood Heritage Trail —
From the beginning, Emory welcomed all races but, like most Washington churches then, seated African Americans in a separate gallery. In 1846 the national Methodist church split over the slavery issue. Seven years later Emory sided with the South. In 1939 the Methodist Church reunited.
Despite its southern sympathies, the church had helped Union forces build Fort Massachusetts (later named Fort Stevens) in 1861. Troops tore down Emory’s new church to build an ammunition magazine, using some of the bricks to build the fort. Emory’s basement served as a military jail. In 1870 the congregation replaced the lost building with a stone chapel, which was later replaced by the current church.
Emory’s support for the nation’s needs has included ministering to soldiers at Walter Reed Army Hospital during and after World War I.
As Brightwood’s racial complexion changed in the 1950s, Emory’s congregation became predominantly African American by the 1970s.
In the late 1880s, the city built a public school for Brightwood’s White children on this corner. The current Brightwood Elementary at 13th and Nicholson streets succeeded it in 1925.
As you proceed to
Erected 2008 by Cultural Tourism DC. (Marker Number 15.)
Location. 38° 57.821′ N, 77° 1.676′ W. Marker is in Brightwood, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is at the intersection of Georgia Avenue, NW (U.S. 29) and Quackenbos Street, NW, on the right when traveling south on Georgia Avenue, NW. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Washington DC 20011, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. “Get Down You Fool” (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Stevens (about 400 feet away); A Streetcar Named Brightwood (about 400 feet away); Scale Model of Fort Stevens (about 400 feet away); Lincoln Under Fire at Fort Stevens (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Fort Stevens (about 500 feet away); Aunt Betty's Story (about 500 feet away); Park and Shop! (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brightwood.
More about this marker. In the upper left is a portrait of Bishop
Down the right side is a series of photos depicting life in the congregation. The first is captioned, After church, 1939. Beside it Emory Church Senior Pastor Dr. and Mrs. Joseph W. Daniels, Jr. pose with young members of the congregation, 2005. And another photo shows An Emory Church walk for the homeless steps off from behind the church on what was once the Piney Branch road bypass.
At the bottom right is a photo of Brightwood Elementary School, the community’s second school for White children.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Follow the Brightwood Heritage Trail.
Also see . . . Our History. Emory’s Timeline of History (Submitted on April 30, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. Methodist Episcopal
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 20, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,993 times since then and 4 times this year. Last updated on April 6, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. Photos: 1. submitted on March 20, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 2. submitted on April 30, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 3, 4. submitted on March 20, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14. submitted on April 30, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 15. submitted on May 1, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 16. submitted on April 30, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 17. submitted on March 20, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 18. submitted on May 2, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.