Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Gainesville in Alachua County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Spanish Cattle Ranching

 
 
Spanish Cattle Ranching Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, June 29, 2012
1. Spanish Cattle Ranching Marker
Inscription. Present-day Gainesville was the center of a large Spanish cattle ranching industry, founded on the labor of native Timuqua Indians, during the 1600s. LaChua, largest of the ranches, was a Spanish corruption of an Indian word, and in turn was corrupted into "Alachua County." English raids destroyed the Indian civilization and Spanish ranches, although large wild herds of cattle were not uncommon during Seminole War years (1835-1842).
 
Erected 1969 by Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials. (Marker Number F-165.)
 
Location. 29° 39.125′ N, 82° 19.393′ W. Marker is in Gainesville, Florida, in Alachua County. Marker is on E. University Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located between 1st Street NE & 3rd Street NE at Municipal Bldg. southside plaza along E. University Avenue. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 E. University Avenue, Gainesville FL 32601, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Gainesville Skirmish / Battle of Gainesville (within shouting distance of this marker); East Florida Seminary (within shouting distance of this marker); City of Gainesville (within
Spanish Cattle Ranching Marker at southside plaza along E. University Avenue image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, June 29, 2012
2. Spanish Cattle Ranching Marker at southside plaza along E. University Avenue
shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Soldier Memorial (was about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line but has been reported permanently removed. ); Alachula County Courthouse (about 600 feet away); Josiah T. Walls (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Gainesville Servicemen's Center / Thelma Boltin Center (approx. 0.2 miles away); Matheson House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gainesville.
 
Also see . . .  Florida Cattle Ranching - Division of Library & Information Services- Florida Department of State. Florida's Andalusian/Caribbean cattle were the first in today's United States. Some scholars believe that cattle brought by the expeditions of Ponce de Leon in 1521 and Don Diego de Maldonado in 1540 escaped and survived in the wild. Organized ranching began with the founding of St. Augustine in 1565, when cattle from Spain and Cuba formed the basis of herds that fed the garrison and surrounding communities. In addition to herds owned by the Spanish and Indians, wild cattle flourished in the rangelands and prairies. ... (Submitted on July 23, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Spanish Cattle Ranching Marker in front of 200 E. University Avenue image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, June 29, 2012
3. Spanish Cattle Ranching Marker in front of 200 E. University Avenue
 
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNative AmericansSettlements & SettlersWars, US Indian
 
Spanish Cattle Ranching Brands image. Click for full size.
State Archives of Florida, Florida Memory, http://floridamemory.com/, `
4. Spanish Cattle Ranching Brands
Cattle Ranching image. Click for full size.
State Archives of Florida, Florida Memory,, circa 1890s
5. Cattle Ranching
Rough and Ready, two cowboys wearing handguns and boots, are two Gainesville residents. Archie L. Jackson, left, was the son of a Confederate veteran and grandfather of an Alachua County rancher. Thomas McDonald, right, had a son, Harrison H. McDonald, who was a county judge for many years. This photo was taken in the 1890s, after the two men had driven a herd of cattle from Old Town, forded the Suwannee River, and brought the herd close to Gainesville for grazing. This shot is taken about one block west of the courthouse, behind Steenberg's Hardware Store, later Thomas Hardware.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 23, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 23, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 801 times since then and 65 times this year. Last updated on April 8, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 24, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   4, 5. submitted on July 23, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement