Hackberry in Mohave County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
A Brief History of Hackberry
When the railroad arrived in 1881, the "town moved down," establishing itself on both sides of the Truxton Wash. The town's livelihood then shifted from mining to the railroad, and it became an important shipping center for sheep and cattle.
The water tank is a reminder of the town's former importance as a watering stop for the steam locomotives, before they were replaced by the diesel in the early 1950's.
The school built in 1917, closed in 1994. Other notable landmarks are the cemetery and an old miner's cabin.
Location. 35° 22.489′ N, 113° 43.355′ W. Marker is in Hackberry, Arizona, in Mohave County. Marker can be reached from East Highway 66 (U.S. 66), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 11255 East Highway 66, Hackberry AZ 86411, United States of America.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 9, 2014, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. This page has been viewed 286 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on April 9, 2014, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.