Near Ashton in Fremont County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
High on Island Park Caldera's west rim, a 72-foot forest service lookout tower affords an excellent view of this large volcanic feature.
No other steel tower has been preserved in this part of Idaho. When it was erected in 1936, lookouts were essential for fire detection in all of this region's forests. This one is still used in times of especially severe fire hazard, but planes now are responsible for regular fire patrol. Forest Service road 80120 ascends to Bishop Mountain lookout at an elevation of 7810 feet.
Erected by Idaho Historical Society. (Marker Number 391.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Idaho State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 44° 17.068′ N, 111° 27.792′ W. Marker is near Ashton, Idaho, in Fremont County. Marker is on U.S. 20 0.1 miles south of North Antelope Flat Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located in a roadside pull-out on the west side of US Highway 20, just south of the intersection with North Antelope Flat Road. The marker is about 16 miles north of Ashton, Idaho. Marker is in this post office area: Ashton ID 83420, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker Harriman State Park (approx. 1.7 miles away); Harriman Wildlife Refuge (approx. 5½ miles away); Volcanic Calderas (approx. 7.1 miles away); Big Falls Inn (approx. 9½ miles away); Bear Gulch Ski Basin (approx. 12½ miles away); The Three Tetons (approx. 12.6 miles away); Island Park (approx. 12.7 miles away); Teton Mountain Range (approx. 13.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ashton.
Also see . . . Driving Guide to Historic Sites: Island Park, Idaho.
Driving north from Ashton, Idaho's Visitor's Center on U. S. Hwy. 20, you soon begin climbing what is locally known as the "Ashton Hill," and enter the Caribou-Targhee National Forest. After topping the hill, you reach a turnout marked by a road sign labeled "Caldera Lookout." It reveals some interesting information about the caldera's formation. This sign is located at the turnoff to reach a historical site on Bishop Mountain on North Antelope Flats Road. Bishop Mountain also forms a portion of the west rim of the volcano 12.6 miles from the highway.
Atop Bishop Mountain is a 72-foot high fire lookout tower that is still used on occasion. The structure was built in 1936 by the U. S. Forest Service with the aid of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) that was active during the depression years. A log cabin, garage, and a frame pit toilet sit nearby the tower. The tower is unique in that it was constructed of metal rather than logs. It is the only remaining fire tower of nine that once existed in the Targhee National Forest, and it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Climbing up into the tower is not permitted. (Submitted on April 13, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Horticulture & Forestry • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 12, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 786 times since then and 169 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on April 12, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2. submitted on April 13, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.