Tallahassee in Leon County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Union Bank of Florida
After remaining unused for nearly 25 years, the building reopened in 1868 as the National Freedman's Savings and Trust Company, serving emancipated slaves and refugees. Starting in 1874, the building functioned in a variety of ways---as a church, shoe factory, beauty shop, and dance studio.
Originally located near the southwest corner of Adams Street and Park Avenue, the structure was moved to this site in 1971. The Union Bank building was restored and opened to the public as a museum in 1984.
Erected 1998 by Florida Heritage Landmark sponsored by the Union Bank Restoration Committee and The Museum of Florida History. (Marker Number F-391.)
Location. 30° 26.284′ N, 84° 16.796′ W. Marker is in Tallahassee, Florida Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tallahassee FL 32301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Leon County Civil War Monument (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Capt. John Parkhill (about 300 feet away); Old Capitol of Florida (about 400 feet away); Florida Liberty Bell Replica (about 500 feet away); Florida Sri Chinmoy Peace State (about 500 feet away); Lewis Bank (about 700 feet away); John Gilmore Riley House (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Knott House (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tallahassee.
Categories. • African Americans • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 17, 2014, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 297 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 17, 2014, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.