Plains in Sumter County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Billy Carter Service Station
In 1954 Mill Jennings, owner and operator of Standard Oil station purchased this building from Thad Jones and moved the building to its current site. The Plains Hotel, which had recently been torn down, previously occupied the lot. Originally, the building served as a playhouse and dance studio for Jones' daughter.
In 1972, Mill Jennings sold the station to Billy Carter, brother of President Jimmy Carter.
In 1976, Billy Carter's station became an important landmark in the history of Plains when Billy's station became famous nationwide, as journalists covering Jimmy Carter's presidential campaign made it their headquarters.
In 2008, the Plains Better Hometown Program acquired the building and opened it as the Billy Carter Museum
Location. 32° 2.051′ N, 84° 23.618′ W. Marker is in Plains, Georgia, in Sumter County. Marker is on Church Street (U.S. 280), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Plains GA 31780, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. M and M Cash Store (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); President Jimmy Carter (about 300 feet away); Old Carter Peanut Warehouse Early Days (about 300 feet away); Old Bank Building (about 300 feet away); Walters Grocery Company (about 300 feet away); Plains Depot (about 300 feet away); Carter Warehouse (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Plains.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 18, 2014, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 320 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 18, 2014, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.