Plains in Sumter County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
M and M Cash Store
Building was erected in 1902 by Everett Lunsford, Jon E. French and Edwin Timmerman and was named the General Store. In 1909, the building was sold to Alton Carter and renamed Plains Mercantile Company.
In 1934, Mr. Carter sold the building to Hewlitt Carlton. Mr. Carlton continued the mercantile trade until 1935 when he sold to H.B. Moman, who renamed it M and M Cash Store. The store was in existence until the retirement of Mr. Moman in 1965.
In 1966, Fain Sutherland purchased the business.
In 1973, Ernest Turner bought the store and operated it through the campaign years.
Location. 32° 2.01′ N, 84° 23.592′ W. Marker is in Plains, Georgia, in Sumter County. Marker is on W. Main Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Plains GA 31780, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Bank Building (a few steps from this marker); Walters Grocery Company (a few steps from this marker); Old Carter Peanut Warehouse (a few steps from this marker); Early Days (within shouting distance of this marker); President Jimmy Carter Carter Warehouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Billy Carter Service Station (about 300 feet away); Plains Depot (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Plains.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 18, 2014, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 351 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 18, 2014, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.