Plains in Sumter County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Walters Grocery Company
This section of the original Oliver McDonald Building was owned and operated by John and Katie Oliver as a grocery store in the 1930's and 40's. The store was sold to C.L. Walters, Jr. in 1943 and was renamed Walters Grocery Company. C.L. and his wife, Beth Murray Walters, operated the store and gave credit to customers by the month or year. Groceries were delivered by phone request to the homes of Plains citizens. The store was opened before daylight each morning and closed an hour after dark, except on Saturdays when it remained open until midnight. The store was never open on Sundays.
In 1972 the company was sold to C. L. Walters, III who made it "Self-serve." Since 1975 it has served as a gift shop.
Location. 32° 2.004′ N, 84° 23.592′ W. Marker is in Plains, Georgia, in Sumter County. Marker is on W. Main Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Plains GA 31780, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Bank Building (a few steps from this marker); M and M Cash Store (a few steps from this marker); Old Carter Peanut Warehouse (a few steps from this marker); Early Days President Jimmy Carter (within shouting distance of this marker); Carter Warehouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Plains Depot (about 300 feet away); Billy Carter Service Station (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Plains.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 18, 2014, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 416 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 18, 2014, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.