Van Alstyne in Grayson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First United Methodist Church of Van Alstyne
Outgrowth of Liberty Class, formed 1847 for Bible study and worship, in log cabin of Jim Creager (1.25 mi. S) by the Rev. Joab Biggs, of the Dallas Methodist Circuit, and M. F. Cole. In 1855, after a rainstorm that detained quarterly conference delegates to listen to an all-night sermon, the Rev. Y. S. McKinney preached for three weeks and had 60 conversions. The enlarged class moved to Mantua, where it built a frame chapel on the town square and was renamed Mt. Zion Methodist Church. At founding of Van Alstyne on Houston & Texas Central Railroad in 1873, Mt. Zion moved its building into town, to a site now in Van Alstyne Cemetery. By 1890 membership exceeded 400. The congregation in 1893 moved again, erecting a larger building at Waco and Jefferson Streets, and changing name to First Methodist Church. In this sanctuary in 1894 there was organized the First District Epworth League of the Southern Methodist Church. Here in 1912 ex-president Theodore Roosevelt gave an address, and in 1917 one of Texas' earliest Boy Scout troops was formed.
Present sanctuary was completed and dedicated in 1917, with dedicatory sermon given by the Rev. Sam R. Hay. The present name was given after a national ecumenical accord was reached in 1968.
Incise on back: This historical marker given to the glory of God by Mr. and Mrs. Rea
Erected 1972 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee and Mr. and Mrs. Rea A. Nunnallee. (Marker Number 7368.)
Location. 33° 25.212′ N, 96° 34.52′ W. Marker is in Van Alstyne, Texas, in Grayson County. Marker is at the intersection of Preston Street and Fulton Street, on the left when traveling south on Preston Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 303 South Preston Street, Van Alstyne TX 75495, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Christian Church of Van Alstyne (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Van Alstyne (about 800 feet away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mantua (approx. 2.3 miles away); Coffman Cemetery (approx. 6.1 miles away).
Also see . . . First United Methodist Church, Van Alstyne TX. (Submitted on April 22, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 22, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 289 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 22, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.