Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newton Falls in Trumbull County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Newton Falls Covered Bridge

 
 
Newton Falls Covered Bridge Marker image. Click for full size.
By Larry Wilson
1. Newton Falls Covered Bridge Marker
Inscription. The Newton Falls covered bridge was built over the east branch of the Mahoning River around 1831. A crosswalk was added in 1921 for children crossing the bridge on their way to the school on Center Street. The Newton Falls bridge is considered the second oldest existing covered bridge in Ohio, the oldest covered bridge in use on its original site, the only covered bridge in the state with a covered crosswalk, and the last surviving covered bridge in Trumbull County. Built on the Town Lattice truss plan, the bridge is 123 feet long and twenty-four feet wide. It has a clear span of 101 1/2 feet and a sixteen foot-wide roadway. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974, the structure is maintained by Trumbull County.
 
Erected 1999 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission - The Longaberger Company - Village of Newton Falls - The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 11-78.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 41° 11.283′ N, 80° 58.265′ W. Marker is in Newton Falls, Ohio, in Trumbull County. Marker is on Arlington Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. This marker is
Newton Falls Covered Bridge Marker image. Click for full size.
By Larry Wilson
2. Newton Falls Covered Bridge Marker
located at the east end of the bridge. Marker is in this post office area: Newton Falls OH 44444, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Settled by Alexander and Sarah Sutherland / Newton Township Duck Creek Settlement (approx. 4.1 miles away); Old Stagecoach Inn / Historic Palmyra Center (approx. 7.4 miles away); Ronald A. Parise, Ph.D., Astronaut / Scientist (approx. 7 miles away); Site of Neil Armstrong's First Flight (approx. 7 miles away); Southington Township Centralized School and Monument Park (approx. 8.4 miles away); Trumbull Red Cross Chapter House / Pioneer Cemetery (approx. 8 miles away); Perkins House (approx. 8 miles away); Kinsman House (approx. 8 miles away).
 
Categories. Bridges & Viaducts
 
Newton Falls Covered Bridge Marker image. Click for full size.
By Larry Wilson
3. Newton Falls Covered Bridge Marker
Newton Falls Covered Bridge Marker image. Click for full size.
By Larry Wilson
4. Newton Falls Covered Bridge Marker
Newton Falls Covered Bridge Marker image. Click for full size.
By Larry Wilson
5. Newton Falls Covered Bridge Marker
Newton Falls Covered Bridge County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, August 10, 2018
6. Newton Falls Covered Bridge County Marker
Rehabilitation of the Newton Falls Covered Bridge
City of Newton Falls, Trumbull County
2007
Historic Significance

The Newton Falls Covered Bridge was originally built about 1831 on this site, which is now known as Arlington Street, over the East Branch of the Mahoning River. This bridge structure is the second oldest covered bridge in the state of Ohio and the oldest covered bridge still in use in its original location. It is also the only covered bridge in the State of Ohio with a covered sidewalk and is the last surviving covered bridge in Trumbull County. This structure is an outstanding example of construction based on the Town Lattice Truss Design patented by architect Itheil Town in 1820. On October 16, 1974, this structure was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Some significant restoration and modifications to the structure have occurred over the years. In 1921, the covered sidewalk was added to provide safe passage for the children to the newly opened school on nearby Center Street. In about 1943, two stone piers were added to help support the original 102-foot clear span. The stone piers were replaced with steel pile piers in about 1962. Repairs to the covered bridge were required after a tornado damaged the main roof and sidewalk in May 1985. The restoration completed in 2007 returned the covered bridge to its 1943 appearance.

FUNDING
Federal Highway Administration

COUNTY COMMISSIONERS
Frank S. Fuda
Daniel E. Polivka
Paul E. Heltzel

COUNTY ENGINEER
John D. Lutell, Sr., P.E., P.S.

MAYOR OF NEWTON FALLS
Thomas Moorehead

CONSULTING ENGINEER
DLZ Ohio, Inc.

GENERAL CONTRACTOR
The Righter Company, Inc.

PROJECT ADMINISTRATION
Smolen Engineering, Ltd.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 11, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 24, 2014, by Larry Wilson of Wareham, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 438 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 24, 2014, by Larry Wilson of Wareham, Massachusetts.   6. submitted on August 11, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement