Cleburne in Johnson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Cleburne Town Square
County seat was bodily moved by wagon to this place (then called Camp Henderson) in 1867, and renamed to honor Patrick Cleburne, a Confederate general under whom many local Civil War veterans had served.
Cleburne's growth has been rapid, particularly in the field of commerce, since 1876. The Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railroad line from Galveston to Fort Worth passed through Cleburne in 1881. A short time later, new branches connected the town with Dallas and Weatherford. In 1898, the railroad's workshops were located here and development of Cleburne as an industrial center began.
By 1950, Cleburne boasted a steel foundry, milk processing plants, ladies' garment factory, lime plant, chair factory, battery plant and the state's largest railroad construction and repair shops.
Typical of other American towns, outward expansion found the original business district taking on a neglected appearance. In 1968, a group called "Our Town, Inc." became concerned with this deterioration and enlisted citizens' aid to help
Erected 1970 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 915.)
Location. 32° 20.83′ N, 97° 23.187′ W. Marker is in Cleburne, Texas, in Johnson County. Marker is on North Main Street (State Highway 174) south of East Henderson Street (Business U.S. 67), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 N Main St, Cleburne TX 76031, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Colonel Middleton T. Johnson (a few steps from this marker); General Patrick R. Cleburne (within shouting distance of this marker); Johnson County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); First Baptist Church of Godley (approx. 10.8 miles away).
More about this marker. The fact that the marker says Property of the State of Texas at the bottom shows that it has been replaced. The markers of 1970 did not have that.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Cleburne Town Square.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 26, 2014, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 463 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 26, 2014, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.