George Town, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
The Boy's Brigade in Malaysia
Erected 2006 by The Boy's Brigade in Malaysia.
Location. 5° 25.046′ N, 100° 19.62′ E. Marker is in George Town, Pulau Pinang. Marker is on Lorong Madras Lane, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 22 Lorong Madras, George Town, Pulau Pinang 10400, Malaysia.
Regarding The Boy's Brigade in Malaysia.
Madras Lane Chinese Methodist Church as its name describes, is a church of the Methodist Chinese assembly in George Town. It is also known as the Penang Hokkien Methodist Church, to differentiate it from the Cantonese Methodist Church at Macalister Road.
Dr. West and Mr. Lau Seng Chong on May 5, 1895 to start work among the Hokkien speaking Chinese of Penang as the "Gospel Light (which began) to shine upon this particular group of people who afterwards called themselves Methodists".
These pioneers rented and old shop house at 29 Galdestone Road. Records show that they did not confine themselves to the preaching of the Gospel alone; they branched out into dispensary work, Sunday school work and even started a Chinese school - all within an incredibly short period of 3 months.
The faithful and energetic efforts of these pioneers and their successors contributed to the growth of the Church both numerically and spiritually during the next forty years. The period saw the birth of the Epworth League and the Ladies Aid Society. Both groups together with the Sunday School and other Church programmes resulted in increased membership and attendance. The pressure of space necessitated the Church to move twice each time to a larger building before the congregation finally moved into the present building
The new building was indeed the fruit of the vision, faithfulness and dedication of the pastors, church workers and members before 1937.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 25, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 26, 2014, by Larry Wilson of Wareham, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 2,613 times since then and 155 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 26, 2014, by Larry Wilson of Wareham, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.