Bethesda in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Tennallytown and Rockville Railroad
Location. 38° 59.209′ N, 77° 5.904′ W. Marker is in Bethesda, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker can be reached from Old Georgetown Road. Touch for map. Marker is in Chevy Chase Gardens Plaza near 7700 Old Georgetown Road, Bethesda MD 20814, United States of America. Also accessible from 7605 Arlington Road. Marker is in this post office area: Bethesda MD 20814, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Georgetown Road (here, next to this marker); Locust Grove (within shouting distance of this marker); This Complex of Buildings and Gardens (within shouting distance of this marker); Five Points, Historic Crossroads (approx. ¼ mile away); Robert W. Leibling (approx. ¼ mile away); Madonna of the Trail (approx. 0.3 miles away); From Trolley to Trail (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Georgetown Branch Railroad (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bethesda.
"Bethesda Park was founded as a trolley park in Montgomery County by entrepreneurs Richard Drum and John Beall in 1891. The 50-acre park featured flying horses, swings, a shooting gallery, a dance hall, a zoo, and an indoor botanical garden. By its second season, its owners had added a restaurant and a $10,000 carousel. A roller coaster and Ferris wheel soon followed, as did a variety of midway games, a theater, and a bowling alley. An electrical fire caused the park's demise in 1894." -- Jason Rhodes Maryland's Amusement Parks, 2005, page 8.
— Submitted April 28, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.
Categories. • Entertainment • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 28, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 407 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 28, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.