Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bonifay in Holmes County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Holmes County

 
 
Holmes County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, April 22, 2014
1. Holmes County Marker
East side of two sided marker.
Inscription. Holmes County, noted for agriculture and timber, was created in 1848. The first county seat was at Hewett's Bluff, later known as Bear Pen. Cerro Gordo and Westville also served as county seat. Bonifay, the present site, was selected in 1905. Controversy surrounds the county's name. One claim credits a North Carolinian name Holmes who settled in the area around 1830. Another contends it was named for an Indian chief who had been given the English name of Holmes.
 
Erected 1961 by Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials. (Marker Number F-63.)
 
Location. 30° 47.587′ N, 85° 40.732′ W. Marker is in Bonifay, Florida, in Holmes County. Marker is at the intersection of East Virginia Avenue and North Oklahoma Street, on the right when traveling west on East Virginia Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is on the grounds of Holmes County Courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 125 E Virginia Ave, Bonifay FL 32425, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Kudzu Developed Here (approx. 7.6 miles away); Falling Waters State Park (approx. 10.1 miles away); Vernon, Florida
Holmes County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, April 22, 2014
2. Holmes County Marker
Looking east along Virginia Avenue.
(approx. 11.8 miles away); Keith Cabin (approx. 13.2 miles away); When The Lights Came On (approx. 14.8 miles away).
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
Holmes County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, April 22, 2014
3. Holmes County Courthouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 28, 2014, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 346 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 28, 2014, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement