Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Vernon in Washington County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Moss Hill

 
 
Moss Hill Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, April 22, 2014
1. Moss Hill Marker
Inscription. Early settlers, attracted by the fertile Coosada (later Holmes) Old Fields, established a log schoolhouse Methodist mission near here soon after Spain ceded Florida to the United Stated in 1820. The first Methodist ministerial assignment between the Apalachicola River and Pensacola was made to the Holmes Valley Mission. During the early history of Washington County, court terms were held here or in the home of a nearby settler. A church was erected here in 1857.
 
Erected 1963 by In Cooperation with Rural Areas Development Council of Washington County and Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials. (Marker Number F-108.)
 
Location. 30° 35.049′ N, 85° 40.638′ W. Marker is in Vernon, Florida, in Washington County. Marker is on Moss Hill Road (County Road 279) 3.6 miles south of Main Street (State Road 79), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3654 C.R. 279, Vernon FL 32462, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Vernon, Florida (approx. 3 miles away); Falling Waters State Park (approx. 13.2 miles away); Kudzu Developed Here (approx. 15.3 miles away).
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.EducationSettlements & Settlers
 
Moss Hill Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, April 22, 2014
2. Moss Hill Marker
Moss Hill Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, April 22, 2014
3. Moss Hill Marker
Moss Hill image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, April 22, 2014
4. Moss Hill
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 28, 2014, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 343 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 28, 2014, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement