Gaffney in Cherokee County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Adolphus Nott Wood, of South Carolina and Millie Catherine Draper, of Alabama
—(Dec. 17th, 1845 Oct. 8th,1932) (May 14th, 1856 Dec. 11th, 1894) —
Came to Gaffney in August, 1876.
Merchant, Banker, President of Mills,
Business Leader, Builder of Homes and
Houses of Business, Philanthropist.
This building was erected by A.N. Wood
in 1881, being from the beginning Basement,
Street Floor, Mezzanine , and Wood's Hall.
In placing this tablet, we, their direct descendants,
wish to honor their memory and to
express perpetual gratitude to the people of
Cherokee County, both white and colored,
for their co-operation in the various business
ventures of our Father in which both they
and we are permanent beneficiaries.
October 8, 1933
The First Anniversary Of The Death Of
Adoulphus Nott Wood
3rd Battalion Reserve Forces
Co. F 15th South Carolina
Dedicated by: Moses Wood Camp 125
Sons of Confederate Veterans
Erected 1933 by Wood Descendants.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Sons of Confederate Veterans/United Confederate Veterans marker series.
Location. 35° 4.527′ N, Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 422 North Limestone, Gaffney SC 29340, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Michael Gaffney Home (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cherokee County WW I Rememberence (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cherokee County Veterans Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Carnegie Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); Col. James Williams (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gaffney (approx. ¼ mile away); Michael Gaffney (approx. ¼ mile away); Gaffney Cornerstone (approx. ¼ mile away); Cherokee County Confederate Monument (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gaffney.
Regarding In Memoriam. Although located within the Gaffney Commercial Historic District, the building was not included as a contributing property. Although the building dates from the turn of the century, the current facade was added during the 1970s. (Source: Gaffney Commercial Historic District National Register Nomination Form, pg 4.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 25, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,007 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 25, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 3. submitted on July 8, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.