Leonia in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Dutch Reformed Church
of the English Neighborhood
the Dutch Reformed Church
Built in 1768-9 and
dedicated in 1770, with
Dominie Garrett Lydecker
its first minister.
Used as a guardhouse and hospital
at various times during the Revolution.
Torn down in 1792, some of the timbers
and stone used in construction of the
succeeding edifice in Ridgefield.
Location. 40° 52.01′ N, 73° 59.32′ W. Marker is in Leonia, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker is on Hillside Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Leonia NJ 07605, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. George Washington Memorial Monument (approx. ¼ mile away); Days Tavern (approx. 0.3 miles away); Continental Army Encampment (approx. 0.3 miles away); Cole – Allaire – Boyd House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Slave Burial Ground (approx. half a mile away); Vreeland House (approx. half a mile away); English Neighborhood Road (approx. half a mile away); Van Horne’s Grist Mill (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leonia.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 25, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,777 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 25, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.