Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sherman in Grayson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of Binkley Hotel

 
 
Site of Binkley Hotel Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 9, 2014
1. Site of Binkley Hotel Marker
Inscription.

In the 1870s, a joint stock company was organized to construct a hotel in Sherman. One of the largest stockholders was Judge C.C. Binkley, a community leader for whom the hotel would be named. Binkley was also president of the Merchants and Planters (M & P) Bank, established in Sherman in 1872.

The first two hotels at this site burned, and the second fire was reportedly set to cover an attempted robbery. The next hotel was built by the Sherman Hotel Company and operated by bank president C.B. Dorchester. The bank, then the Merchants and Planters National Bank, served farmers, ranchers, counties, and Indian tribes, becoming a financial hub for Texas and Oklahoma, and the close ties between bank and hotel attracted and accommodated business in the growing community. The Sherman Opera House, which brought in touring dramatic companies, added to the list of popular and prominent men and women who visited the hotel. Ladies would enter on the north, at the carriage entrance, and avoid passing the bar on their way to receptions in the dining room of the three-story hotel. Former president William Howard Taft visited Sherman in 1919 and spoke briefly from a wrought-iron balcony on the hotel's north side.

The hotel's name changed to Texas Hotel in 1947. The third and final Binkley Hotel building burned in 1967. During
Site of Binkley Hotel Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 9, 2014
2. Site of Binkley Hotel Marker
its many decades of operation, the business contributed to Sherman's development. The hotel, bank and opera house together formed a unique, functionally integrated business, civic and cultural complex. The hotel served the many guests of the bank and opera house and was a popular spot for travelers as well as local residents.
 
Erected 2002 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12871.)
 
Location. 33° 38.302′ N, 96° 36.601′ W. Marker is in Sherman, Texas, in Grayson County. Marker is at the intersection of Travis Street and Pecan Street, on the left when traveling north on Travis Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 North Travis Street, Sherman TX 75090, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Old Sherman Opera House (within shouting distance of this marker); Federal Building (United States Courthouse) (within shouting distance of this marker); Peter W. Grayson (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gold Star Mothers (approx. 0.2 miles away); The First Confederate Monument Erected in Texas (approx. 0.2 miles away); Grayson County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ninth Texas Cavalry (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sherman.
 
Also see . . .  History of Sherman, Texas. (Submitted on May 3, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. EntertainmentIndustry & CommerceMan-Made FeaturesSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 3, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 294 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 3, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement