Clarksburg in Harrison County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Established 1785. Named for Gen. George Rogers Clark. John Simpson camped here in 1764. Early permanent settlements were made by the Davissons, Cottrills, Sotha Hickman, Nicholas Carpenter, and others.
Site of Randolph Academy, 1785. Home of Gen. Nathan Goff and John S. Carlile. Supply depot of the Union Army, 1861 to 1865. General George B. McClellan had his headquarters here in 1861 until Battle of Bull Run.
Location. 39° 16.746′ N, 80° 20.364′ W. Marker is in Clarksburg, West Virginia, in Harrison County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street and Court Street, on the right when traveling east on West Main Street. Touch for map. The marker is on the plaza of the Harrison County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Clarksburg WV 26301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Combat Wounded (here, next to this marker); U.S.S. West Virginia Bow Flag Staff (a few steps from this marker); Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson Monument (a few steps from this marker); Union Meetings (a few steps from this marker); "Stonewall" Jackson The Immigrants (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas J. (Stonewall) Jackson Birthplace (within shouting distance of this marker); Stonewall Jackson Birthplace (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clarksburg.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 3, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 324 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 3, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.