Winchester, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Braddock Street Methodist Church
From Court House to Church
Thirty-two charter members met July 24, 1858, in the Frederick County Court House and were organized as a congregation of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, Virginia Conference.
The first church building was erected 1858-59 on this site near the corner of Braddock and Wolfe. The first service was the celebrating of Christmas, 1858, in the basement at the partially completed church. The church building was dedicated July 1859.
Civil War and Recovery
After the Battle of Kernstown, March 23, 1862, the wounded were brought to the church which continued to be used as a hospital by occupying forces throughout the war. Damaged extensively, it was partially repaired [not legible]
A Church for the 20th Century
During the Post-War Era the church and Sunday School membership grew steadily, demanding more room. The original structures were remodeled and enlarged from a practically new sanctuary (1898), a Sunday School House was built (1904), and the Golden [not legible] Bible Class remodeled the sanctuary basement for their classroom (1913).
In time these buildings have been replaced by structures extending west-ward to Washington Street within four blocks of "the [not legible] where Bishop Francis Asbury
Present buildings Braddock Street Methodist Church:
Education Building -1958
Sanctuary - 1974
Marker series. This marker is included in the Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher marker series.
Location. 39° 10.999′ N, 78° 10.06′ W. Marker is in Winchester, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of South Braddock Street (U.S. 11) and Wolfe Street, on the right when traveling south on South Braddock Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Winchester VA 22601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Washington’s Office (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Braddock Cannon (about 300 feet away); George Washington (about 300 feet away); Little-Holiday House (about 500 feet away); The Godfrey Miller Home (about 500 feet away); Thomas, Sixth Lord Fairfax of Cameron (about 600 feet away); A View of Winchester in 1745 - The Four Public Lots (about 700 feet away); Taylor Hotel (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winchester.
More about this marker. On the right side of the marker is a photograph of the older sanctuary.
Also see . . . Braddoc Street Methodist Church. Page offering a short history of the church. (Submitted on April 25, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 25, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,119 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 25, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.