Plains in Yoakum County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Indian activity and frontier hazards made growth slow. Only itinerant buffalo hunters and scattered ranchers here until after 1900. County organized Sept. 7, 1907. By 1910 population reached 602 as result of sale of state lands. Discovery of oil in 1935 brought industry and more people.
A “Bonus Shack” typical of cabins used by homesteaders is used as a historical museum in Plains, the county seat.
Erected 1965 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 5927.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 33° 11.33′ N, 102° 49.758′ W. Marker is in Plains, Texas, in Yoakum County. Marker is at the intersection of Cowboy Way (U.S. 82/380) and Avenue F, on the left when traveling east on Cowboy Way. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Plains TX 79355, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Discovery Well in the Wasson Field (approx. 9.7 miles away).
1. Original Location and Inscription
The marker was originally installed in 1936 one mile east of Plains on US 380. The original marker read:
Organized September 21, 1907
Named in honor of
Author of A History of Early
A Soldier in the Mexican War
Plains, the county seat
In 1965 the marker was restored, a new inscription tablet with revised text was placed on the marker, and the marker was moved from its original location to its present location.
(Source: Monuments Erected by the State of Texas to Commemorate the Centenary of Texas Independence. Austin, Texas: Commission of Control for Texas Centennial Celebrations, 1938. Page 194.)
— Submitted July 2, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 2, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 6, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 321 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 6, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.