Lubbock in Lubbock County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
In Sep. 1939, Breedlove left his position to open his own flying service located at the second hangar at the Lubbock Municipal Airport. Then on Dec. 20, 1941, he opened Breedlove Airport just east of the Tahoka Highway (now MLK Boulevard) on East 50th Street. Breedlove lived at the airport with his wife Aulyne and daughter Mary Louise. He and his wife owned and operated the airport until 1947. It consisted of four large runways, a hangar, shop and parts room, storage hangar, doping room, café, restrooms and two-story administration building with control tower.
During World War II, Breedlove Airport, situated on 219 acres of land, was used to train thousands of cadet pilots in the Civilian Pilot Training Program (CPTP) and the Texas Tech Pre-Flights Program (309th College Training Detachment). The site also served as Lubbock's commercial airport during the war years.
Erected 2012 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17262.)
Location. 33° 32.921′ N, 101° 48.714′ W. Marker is in Lubbock, Texas, in Lubbock County. Marker is on East 50th Street 0.4 miles east of Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lubbock TX 79404, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients (approx. 1.1 miles away); Bradford Knapp (approx. 1.2 miles away); City of Lubbock Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away); Buddy Holly Historical Marker Mount Gilead Baptist Church (approx. 1.9 miles away); J.I. Allison House circa 1950s (approx. 2.7 miles away); Buddy Holly (approx. 2.7 miles away); F W & D South Plains Railway Depot (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lubbock.
Categories. • Air & Space • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 10, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 293 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 10, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.