Summit in Union County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Signal Beacon and the “Old Sow”
Here in the time of the American Revolution stood the Signal Beacon and by its side the cannon known as the “Old Sow” which in time of danger and invasion summoned the patriotic “Minute Men” of this vicinity to the defense of the country and the repulse of the invader.
This monument was erected by the New Jersey Society of the Sons of the American Revolution and dedicated to the memory of the patriots of New Jersey. Removed to this spot from its original location and re-dedicated July 4, 1908.
Erected 1896 by New Jersey Society of the Sons of the American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Sons of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 40° 43.602′ N, 74° 20.962′ W. Marker is in Summit, New Jersey, in Union County. Marker is on Hobart Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 226 Hobart Avenue, Summit NJ 07901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Summit Opera House (approx. 0.8 miles away); Florence Spearing Randolph (approx. 0.9 miles Wallace Chapel A.M.E. Zion Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); Marjorie Cranstoun Jefferson (approx. 1.2 miles away); Summit Playhouse (approx. 1.2 miles away); Day's Bridge Summit (approx. 1.6 miles away); New Jersey Journal (approx. 1.6 miles away); Bonnel Town - Chatham (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Summit.
Also see . . . The Battles of Connecticut Farms and Springfield. (Submitted on April 26, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Patriots & Patriotism • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 26, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,353 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 26, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.