Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbia in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Harnessing Water Power

 
 
Harnessing Water Power Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, April 2008
1. Harnessing Water Power Marker
Inscription.
Downstream from where the current Gervais Street Bridge now stands, Dr. Frederick W. Green owned and operated a lumberyard, and ran a grist mill to grind flour and corn. A native of New England, Green came South in the 1830s. Water from the canal ran his businesses.

Until the end of the 19th century, most communities had at least one gristmill. Larger towns, such as Columbia, had at least one lumber operation. This mill was one of several that existed along the Broad and Congaree Rivers to provide milling services for a growing population.
 
Erected by S.C. State Museum.
 
Location. 33° 59.827′ N, 81° 2.925′ W. Marker is in Columbia, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker can be reached from Gervais Street (U.S. 1/378) near Gist Street. Touch for map. Along the Congaree River. Marker is in this post office area: Columbia SC 29201, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1896 Power Plant (within shouting distance of this marker); Gervais Street Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Columbia Canal (within shouting distance of this marker); Congaree River Bridges (about 300
Harnessing Water Power Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, August 9, 2009
2. Harnessing Water Power Marker
feet away, measured in a direct line); Doolittle Raiders (about 500 feet away); Williams Street / Gist Street (about 600 feet away); Huger Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); Confederate Printing Plant (approx. mile away); Milestones (approx. mile away); Old Congaree River Bridges (approx. mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia.
 
Regarding Harnessing Water Power. In the upper right is a Part (detail) of the earliest known landscape painting of the Congaree River and Columbia skyline by Eugene Dovilliers,c. 1855. The structures south of the old covered bridge, that conected Gervais Street to what is now West Columbia, may be portions of Frederick Green's grist and saw mills.

In the lower center is an illustration of The water wheel and structure of a gristmill along either the Congaree or Broad Rivers, painted by Eugene Dovilliers,c. 1850. This is probably similar to the one that was operated south of Gervais Street by Frederick Green around the same period.
 
Related markers.
Gervais Street Bridge , mentioned on Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
3. Gervais Street Bridge , mentioned on Marker
Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceWaterways & Vessels
 
Congaree River, mentioned on Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
4. Congaree River, mentioned on Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 26, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 856 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on April 26, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   2. submitted on September 7, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.   3, 4. submitted on April 26, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement