Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Parkersburg in Wood County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Old Turnpikes

 
 
Old Turnpikes Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, April 13, 2014
1. Old Turnpikes Marker
Inscription. Washington, who had favored the Braddock Road, proposed the Northwestern Turnpike to the Ohio through Virginia in 1784. It was completed to Parkersburg in 1838. The road from Staunton to Parkersburg was opened in 1847.
 
Location. 39° 15.798′ N, 81° 32.55′ W. Marker is in Parkersburg, West Virginia, in Wood County. Marker is at the intersection of Old US 50 (SR 618) and Staunton Avenue (SR 47) on Old US 50 (SR 618). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Parkersburg WV 26101, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Tollgate House (here, next to this marker); The Toll House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Block-House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Col. Hugh Phelps (approx. 0.6 miles away); Neal's Station (approx. 0.6 miles away); Sumner School (approx. 0.7 miles away); Parkersburg (approx. 1.1 miles away); West Virginia's First Governor / Parkersburg Governors (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Parkersburg.
 
Categories. Roads & Vehicles
 
Old Turnpikes Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, April 13, 2014
2. Old Turnpikes Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 11, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 205 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 11, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement