Near Grayson in Carter County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Pactolus Furnace / Iron Made in Kentucky
Built in 1824 by Joseph McMurtry and David L. Ward, on the site of an earlier bloomer forge. Its stone stack used charcoal fuel, and its air blast machinery was powered from a dam, 5 1/2 ft. high, in Little Sandy River. Capacity was about three tons of iron daily, mainly shipped via Ohio River. Last blast before 1835.
Marker presented by Armco Steel Corp.
A major producer since 1791, Ky. ranked 3rd in US in 1830s, 11th in 1965. Charcoal timber, native ore, limestone supplied material for numerous furnaces making pig iron, utensils, munitions in the Hanging Rock, Red River, Between Rivers, Rolling Fork, Green River Regions. Old charcoal furnace era ended by depletion of ore and timber and the growth of railroads.
Erected 1968 by Kentucky Historical Society-Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1148.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 38° 21.882′ N, 82° 56.136′ W. Marker is near Grayson, Kentucky, in Carter County. Marker is on Carol Malone Road (SR1) (Kentucky Route 1) one mile north of Interstate 64, on the Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Grayson KY 41143, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Civil War Reunion (approx. 2 miles away); A Masterful Retreat (approx. 2.3 miles away); William Jason Fields (approx. 2.4 miles away); World War I Memorial (approx. 2.4 miles away); County Named, 1838 (approx. 2.4 miles away); Buffalo Furnace b/ Iron Made in Kentucky (approx. 8.4 miles away); Greenbo Lake State Resort Park (approx. 8.4 miles away); Saltpeter Cave (approx. 10.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grayson.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 17, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 369 times since then and 63 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 17, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.