Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wilson in Niagara County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Hojack Park

 
 
Hojack Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, May 17, 2014
1. Hojack Park Marker
Inscription. June 1978. Donated by Mr. and Mrs. George W. Badger.
 
Location. 43° 17.843′ N, 78° 49.647′ W. Marker is in Wilson, New York, in Niagara County. Marker can be reached from Lake Street (New York State Route 425) 1.3 miles south of Ontario Street (New York State Route 18). Touch for map. Marker is on the grounds of the park which is occupied by the Wilson Historical Society on Lake Street in the Village of Wilson. Marker is in this post office area: Wilson NY 14172, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Randall Road Schoolhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Morgan Johnson House (approx. mile away); Tabor Bridge (approx. 0.6 miles away); Wilson Collegiate Institute 1845 (approx. 0.7 miles away); Site of Log House Built in 1818 by Reuben Wilson (approx. mile away); Lake Street and Young Street (approx. 0.9 miles away); First School House (approx. 0.9 miles away); Pettit Street and Chestnut Street (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wilson.
 
Regarding Hojack Park. Hojack is the common name for railroad line that once included a yard here. The origin of "Hojack" is uncertain. One explanation is that a locomotive engineer regularly commanded
Eastward View Hojack Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, May 17, 2014
2. Eastward View Hojack Park Marker
The Wilson Depot is at the left behind the marker; the New York Central Caboose at the right, and Lake Street (NY 425) is ahead.
"Ho, Jack" to his locomotive. The Wilson Historical Society owns interpretive buildings and collections here, and hosts events, the largest being the Memorial Day Fair which includes many vendors, classic cars, and food. The buildings include the Wilson Depot/Station, a schoolhouse, a log cabin and a small classic car museum.
 
Also see . . .
1. Wilson Historical Society. (Submitted on May 18, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
2. Rome, Watertown and Ogdensburg Railroad - Wikipedia. The Hojack Line (Submitted on May 18, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.) 

3. Rexford Tugwell - Wikipedia. (Submitted on May 18, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
 
Categories. Charity & Public WorkEducationRailroads & Streetcars
 
Westward View Hojack Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, May 17, 2014
3. Westward View Hojack Park Marker
The Wilson Depot is at the left; the New York Central Caboose is at the right. The Hojack Park marker is at center in the distance by the light standard. The building to the right of the marker has an open room for small events and the small car museum.
North Side Wilson Depot image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, May 17, 2014
4. North Side Wilson Depot
South Side Wilson Depot image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, May 17, 2014
5. South Side Wilson Depot
South Side Wilson Depot, NYC Caboose, and Log Cabin image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, May 17, 2014
6. South Side Wilson Depot, NYC Caboose, and Log Cabin
A stone memorial to Wilson veterans is to the right of the depot.
Wilson Veterans Memorial image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, May 17, 2014
7. Wilson Veterans Memorial
In memory of all service men & women who served our country from Wilson. In memory of & donated by The Clark Family, Murrell S. & Ethel I.
NYC Hojack Caboose image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, May 17, 2014
8. NYC Hojack Caboose
This New York Central Caboose is restored and can be toured. The New York Central and the Penn Central Railroads were the last owners of the Hojack line through Wilson before the rails were pulled up.
Hojack Park NYC Caboose Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, May 17, 2014
9. Hojack Park NYC Caboose Plaque
Hojack Park Tugwell Log Cabin image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, May 17, 2014
10. Hojack Park Tugwell Log Cabin
Displays are inside.
Log Cabin Sign image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, May 17, 2014
11. Log Cabin Sign
The sign refers to Rexford Tugwell, a Governor of Puerto Rico, Agriculture Secretary under President Franklin D. Roosevelt, an author, and a former owner of agricultural enterprises in Wilson.
Wilson Founder Reuben Wilson - Original Headstone image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, May 17, 2014
12. Wilson Founder Reuben Wilson - Original Headstone
The original headstone for Reuben Wilson, founder of the town of Wilson, is on the park grounds. It was replaced due to breakage.
Headstone Sign image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, May 17, 2014
13. Headstone Sign
Original gravestone fro Reuben Wilson, Founder, Town of Wilson. New monument erected in Greenwood Cemetary, 1976.
Hojack Park Windmill image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, May 17, 2014
14. Hojack Park Windmill
Hojack Park Windmill Donation and Assembly Sign image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, May 17, 2014
15. Hojack Park Windmill Donation and Assembly Sign
Hojack Park Beacon image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, May 17, 2014
16. Hojack Park Beacon
1934 Pierce Arrow image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, May 17, 2014
17. 1934 Pierce Arrow
In the classic car collection in the park. It is licensed and running, hence the smokey picture.
Other Cars at the Park image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, May 17, 2014
18. Other Cars at the Park
These are not operating. The only other licensed and operating car is a turquois 1959 Cadillac convertable (not pictured).
Two Rare Post-War Cars image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, May 17, 2014
19. Two Rare Post-War Cars
1946 Imperial, 1957 Continental.
Pre-War Cars image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, May 17, 2014
20. Pre-War Cars
Not pictured is the 1904 Covert built in Lockport, NY and bought from the Dearfield Museum in Michigan. The car has been temporarily removed from here for some restoration work.
Southward View from Lake Street image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, May 17, 2014
21. Southward View from Lake Street
The entrance.
Entrance Sign Hojack Park image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, May 17, 2014
22. Entrance Sign Hojack Park
Event Sign Hojack Park image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, May 17, 2014
23. Event Sign Hojack Park
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 18, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 315 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23. submitted on May 18, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement