Ben Wheeler in Van Zandt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Ben Wheeler Community
Ancel Clough, heir to George Clough, sold 50 acres in 1885 to Professor James F. Davidson. In 1890, Davidson and J.W. Downs established the Alamo Institute. The first school of higher learning in Van Zandt county. The town grew rapidly from 1885 to 1892 and boasted four general stores, two grocery stores, a drug store, boarding houses, a hotel, three gins and mills, a blacksmith and wood working shop,
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2011 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16917.)
Location. 32° 26.709′ N, 95° 42.272′ W. Marker is in Ben Wheeler, Texas, in Van Zandt County. Marker is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 279 and Farm to Market Road 858, on the left when traveling south on Route 279. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1551 FM 279, Ben Wheeler TX 75754, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Alamo Institute (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Morgan G. Sanders (about 600 feet away); Battle of the Neches (approx. 4.9 miles away); The Free State of Van Zandt (approx. 5 miles away); Brady P. Gentry (approx. 5 miles away); Asbury Cemetery (approx. 6.4 miles away); Adren Anglin (approx. 6.4 miles away); Tidmore Cemetery (approx. 6˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ben Wheeler.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 17, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 25, 2014, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 329 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 25, 2014, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.