Attalla in Etowah County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
The victory of this army at Horseshoe Bend, in 1814, led the Creek Indians to cede thousands of acres of land to the United States and opened the way for the formation of the Alabama Territory in 1818, and the State of Alabama in 1819.
Erected 2008 by the Alabama Charter Chapter National Society United States Daughters of 1812.
Marker series. This marker is included in the United States Daughters of 1812 marker series.
Location. 34° 1.157′ N, 86° 5.122′ W. Marker is in Attalla, Alabama, in Etowah County. Marker is at the intersection of 5th Avenue Northeast (U.S. 431) and Cleveland Avenue, on the right when traveling south on 5th Avenue Northeast. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Attalla AL 35954, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. “The Junction” (here, next to this marker); Electricity for the City of Attalla First United Methodist Church Of Attalla (approx. 0.3 miles away); William Patrick Lay (approx. 1.8 miles away); Camp Sibert (approx. 1.9 miles away); a different marker also named Camp Sibert (approx. 1.9 miles away); Dwight Mill Village (approx. 2.3 miles away); Howard Gardner Nichols 1871-1896 (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Attalla.
Categories. • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 21, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 943 times since then and 39 times this year. Last updated on May 26, 2014. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 21, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.