Lynchburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Percivalís Island Natural Area
At the western end of the island is a shallow rise in the river bottom that provided a crossing for Virginia Indians. Early European explorers followed these trails and named the crossing Horse Ford. In 1745, the island then known as Chain Island, was part of a 425-acre royal patent that colonist John Bolling II obtained. In 1750, Charles Lynch acquired Bollingís grant; Lynch's sons, John and Edward Lynch, established Lynchís Ferry just upstream to provide a safe, year-round crossing to replace Horse Ford.
The island is named for John Percival, who purchased it in 1820 from John Lynch, LynchburgĎs founder. Percival built his home here; in 1845, the property was sold to the Southside Railroad for its Lynchburg terminal. The Southside Railroad became part of the Atlantic, Mississippi and Ohio Railroad in 1870, which later became the Norfolk and Western Railway. A railway hub known as Island Yard operated here until 1964.
In 1991, Lynchburg purchased the island for use as a natural area. Percivalís Island is home to a diverse assortment of ﬂora
(lower left) Percivalís Island, 1939 – Courtesy Norfolk Southern Archives, Digital Library, Virginia Tech
(upper right) Norfolk and Western Railroad train at Island Yard, 1898 Courtesy Norfolk Southern Archives, Digital Library, Virginia Tech
(lower right) Norfolk and Western Engine House, Island Yard Courtesy Norfolk & Western Historical Society
Lynchburg is a city rich in the history of Virginia and the nation. As with any city, some of our sites and buildings that reflect that history have changed over the centuries since Lynchburgís origins in the 1750s. You can see for yourself the cityís historic places and how they have changed or remained intact. Just let the map guide you to the many historical markers that are located downtown. Enjoy learning about Lynchburg!
Erected 2011 by The Lynchburg History Marker Program.
Location. 37° 24.735′ N, 79° 8.181′ W. Marker is in Lynchburg, Virginia. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Concord Turnpike and Washington Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1600 Concord Turnpike, Lynchburg VA 24504, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Luke Jordan, Blues Pioneer (within shouting distance of this marker); Lucile Barrow Turner (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Lynchburg History (about 700 feet away); Civil War Lynchburg (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Lynchburg History (approx. 0.4 miles away); Point of Beginning (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Lynchburg History (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lynchburg (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lynchburg.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 27, 2014, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 485 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 27, 2014, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.