Lynchburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The College Hill Reservoir was covered by a large steel tank in 1964, and the decorative fencing was dismantled and reused as a garden in closure at a private home. In 2000 the fencing was rescued from overgrowth and sold to the Southern Memorial Association for reinstallation in the City Cemetery.
The picture below illustrates the beauty of the old College Hill Reservoir, but its cast-iron fencing and water pitcher intact. The picture was given to the city in 1890, a gift of Lynchburg Glamorgan foundry.
Location. 37° 24.839′ N, 79° 9.425′ W. Marker is in Lynchburg, Virginia. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Taylor Street and 4th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 Taylor Street, Lynchburg VA 24501, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Quartermaster’s Glanders Stable (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Glanders Stable (within shouting distance of this marker); Ivy Chapel Union Church Chapel and Columbarium (within shouting distance of this marker); Hermon Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Lynchburg's Pest House (within shouting distance of this marker); Lynchburg’s First Public Hanging, 1830 (within shouting distance of this marker); College Hill Reservoir Water Pitcher (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lynchburg.
Also see . . . Old City Cemetery. The oldest public cemetery in Virginia still in use today - central Virginia's most unique public garden. (Submitted on May 29, 2014.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Charity & Public Work •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 29, 2014, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 529 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 29, 2014, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.