River Edge in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Historic New Bridge Landing
1) Steuben House. Jan and Annetje (Ackerman) Zabriskie prospered as miller and merchant at this site. They built a five-room stone cottage in 1752 and enlarged the house to the present size in 1767 by adding a second story along the rear and the entire north block with its paneled parlor and bed chamber. During the American Revolutionary War, the Zabriskies sided with the Crown and fled to British-held Manhattan. Washington made the house his headquarters for 16 days in 1780. In 1783, the State of New Jersey presented the confiscated house to Major-General Baron von Steuben. The Steuben House is the only extant house he owned. Described in 1784 as a “Large Mansion House containing twelve rooms built with stone, with Outhouses consisting of a Bake House, Smoke House, Coach House, and two large Barns, and a Garden, Forty Acres of Land consisting of Meadow Land and two Orchards.” Steuben’s aide-de-camp, Capt. Benjamin Walker resided here, while Steuben made regular visits and summer retreats from his Manhattan lodgings. Steuben restored the war-damaged home and this is largely the house that you see today. He sold it back to the Zabriskies in 1788. The house and one acre were purchased by State of NJ in 1929. In 1939, the Bergen County Historical Society (BCHS) was invited to display its collections
2) New Bridge. A “New Bridge” with sliding draw was built here in 1745. Describing the American retreat from Fort Lee on November 20, 1776, eyewitness Thomas Paine wrote in The American Crisis, “Our first objective was to secure the bridge over the Hackensack . . . ” memorializing the darkest hour in the hopes for American independence as “the times that try men’s souls.” This strategic crossing was in constant conflict during the war because it was the first bridge above Newark Bay. The present Pratt-type low-truss swing bridge opened Feb. 2, 1889. One person alone could rotate the bridge to let ships pass. Closed to auto traffic in 1956. Listed on NJ & National Registers by BCHS as the oldest highway swing-bridge in NJ.
3) New Bridge Landing. A narrow mill landing, built of log cribbing in 1744, could accommodate sloops of 40-ton burden. Local products were shipped south, including iron which was brought overland from Ringwood and Long Pond Ironworks. Merchandise brought back from city markets was sold in the Zabriskie store (See website for store inventory).
4) Zabriskie’s Mills. Johannes Ackerman resided near the present intersection of Main & Elizabeth Ct. He built
5) Demarest House Museum. Two-room sandstone cottage was built in 1794 for miller John Paulson at the time of his marriage to Altie Ely. The stove chimney in east room is a technological advance over fireplaces. The house was moved from the original site beside the French Burial Ground, New Milford, 1955-56. Demarest family artifacts are on display. Owned by the Blauvelt-Demarest Foundation.
6) Campbell-Christie House. A mason, Jacob Campbell, erected this gambrel-roofed, center-hall sandstone dwelling at River Rd. & Henley Ave., New Milford, in 1774, at the time of his marriage to Altche Westeevelt. Jacob was a private in the Bergen Militia and the house was damaged in the Rev War. John Christie, blacksmith, purchased
7) Westervelt-Thomas Barn. Built 1889 by Peter J. Westervelt on his farm on Ridgewood Road, Washington Township. Henry Thomas purchased the farm in 1906. Relocated here in 1955.
8) Out-Kitchen. Authentic out-kitchen, replicating the John R. Demarest out-kitchen in Demarest. Built by BCHS in 1990, using antique materials, it includes a working beehive oven and smoke room. These separate kitchen structures kept the heat of cooking out of the main dwelling during summer and prevented oven fires from consuming the home. Located nearby is an Outhouse from Closter c. 1930
9) Brett Park. Part of the New Bridge battleground during the American Revolution. Later site of Rekow’s Farm and Bensen’s Campgrounds. Named after former Teaneck Mayor Clarence Brett in 1971. The Friends of the Hackensack Greenway through Teaneck maintain a southbound 3.5
10) The Meadow. The autoparts yard, completely remediated by 2010, is now an open meadow returning a pastoral setting to HNBL.
11) The Site of Future BCHS Museum & Library Building. Elevated building planned to allow for exhibits and safe storage of the BCHS collections. We need your support!
Prehistory The clay flat on the west bank of the river was known as Tantaqua’s Plain, inhabited by Tantaqua, a Hackensack sachem, and his kin (Steuben House location). Artifacts as old as 5,000 years have been found here at New Bridge and may be on exhibit.
( Sidebar : )
In 1710, Davis Ackerman described the area where the Steuben House now stands as “Tantewagh’s Plain.”
This is a variant of the name of Tantaqua, last great sachem of the Hackensack Indians. Cole’s Brook, which enters the river at the south end of the river landing, was known as Tantaqua’s Brook in 1682, being renamed for grist miller Tunis Cole in the early 19th century. The Hackensacks originally inhabited the lower part of the peninsula between the Hackensack River and Overpeck Creek until the great sachem Oratam conveyed 2,260 acres south of Cedar Lane in 1669 to Sarah Kiersted for her service as interpreter. They then moved northward, establishing villages along Teaneck
The sandy river plains and drumlin hills to the north of New Bridge were the territory of the Tappan Indians. David Demarest purchased the river plain in New Milford and Bergenfield, northward to the Oradell Flatts, in June 1677 from the Tappans, whose name is said to derive from the Alonquian, thuphonne, translated as “cold stream.” The Tappans and their relations, known as the Machkentjwoml, occupied the northern valley of the Hackensack River south to New Bridge. - historian Kevin Wright
Erected by Bergen County Historical Society.
Location. 40° 54.803′ N, 74° 1.85′ W. Marker is in River Edge, New Jersey Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: River Edge NJ 07661, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Zabriskie House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Historic New Bridge Landing (within shouting distance of this marker); New Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); New Bridge Landing (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Demarest House (within shouting distance of this marker); The (Von) Steuben House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named New Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Cattails = Clay (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in River Edge.
More about this marker. Portraits of Baron von Steuben, Thomas Paine, and Walter Christie appear on the marker. A map of the Battleground in the American Revolution appears on the top of the marker and indicates the buildings and places listed above.
A painting of Gen. Washington and the army crossing the bridge near the Steuben House is on the right of the marker, and contains the caption “New Bridge served as a battleground, fort, encampment ground, military headquarters, and intelligence-gathering
Below this, under the title “Walk in their footsteps” is a series of portraits of “Famous Faces of New Bridge during the American Revolution.” This has a caption of “Washington headquartered here for 16 days in 1780. Thomas Paine, Major General Friedrich Wilhelm Baron von Steuben, Major General Marie Joseph du Motier, Marquis de LaFayette, Major General Nathanael Greene, Major General Anthony Wayne, Royal Governor William Franklin, Founding Fathers Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton, Lt. Col Henry Lee, Capt. John Outwater, Major John Andre, Lt. General Sir Henry Clinton, Lieutenant General Charles Lord Cornwallis, Major General Charles Grey, Capt. Patrick Ferguson, Col. Francis Lord Rawdon, Lt. Col. Stephen Kemble, Capt. Johann Ewald, Brigadier General Cortland Skinner, Lt. James Moody were all at New Bridge during the American Revolution. Per military historian Todd Braisted.”
Also see . . . Bergen County Historical Society website. (Submitted on June 1, 2014, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Native Americans • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 1, 2014, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 529 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on June 1, 2014, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.