Honolulu in Honolulu County, Hawaii — Hawaiian Island Archipelago (Pacific Ocean)
(The Stone Church)
This structure was preceded by a succession of four thatched grass buildings which served as houses of worship until ground was broken in 1837.
The building materials of the sanctuary were not easily accessible. The huge coral slabs had to be quarried underwater, and each weighed more than 1000 pounds. Native Hawaiians dove 10 to 20 feet to hand chisel these pieces from the reef. The physically and spiritually strong hauled some 14,000 of the slabs to this, their final destination. The Stone Church was dedicated on July 21, 1842.
The coral slab this sign is mounted on was from the original pieces used to construct this sanctuary.
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 21° 18.268′ N, 157° 51.479′ W. Marker is in Honolulu, Hawaii, in Honolulu County. Marker is on Punchbowl Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 957 Punchbowl Street, Honolulu HI 96813, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hiram Bingham (a few steps from this marker); Kawaiaha'o Landmark King William Charles Lunalilo (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Kawaiaha‘o Landmark (within shouting distance of this marker); Reverend James Kekela (within shouting distance of this marker); First Hawaiian Printing (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); King Kamehameha I (about 700 feet away); Aliiolani Hale (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Honolulu.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 2, 2014, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 289 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 2, 2014, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.