Jonesboro in Clayton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Unknown Confederate Soldiers Memorial
Battle of Jonesboro
the several hundred unknown
Confederate Soldiers reposing
within this enclosure who fell
at the Battle of Jonesboro
August 31-September 1, 1864
These soldiers were of Hardee’s Corps, commanded by Maj. Gen. Patrick R. Cleburne, Lieut. Gen. Stephen D. Lee’s Corps and a portion of Maj. Gen. Joseph Wheeler’s Cavalry Corps. Commanded by Lieut. Gen. William J. Hardee and charged with the defense of Jonesboro—though vastly outnumbered by Federal forces—they gave their lives to parry the final thrust at the heart of the Southern Confederacy.
Erected 1934 by Atlanta Ladies Memorial Association.
Location. 33° 31.836′ N, 84° 21.186′ W. Marker is in Jonesboro, Georgia, in Clayton County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of North McDonough Street and Johnson Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. This memorial is located in the Pat Cleburne Cemetery. Marker is at or near this postal address: 230 N McDonough St, Jonesboro GA 30236, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Two Days of Battle at Jonesboro (within shouting distance of this marker); Patrick Cleburne Confederate Cemetery The Warren House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hardee’s Corps at Jonesboro (approx. 0.2 miles away); Battle of Jonesboro The Second Day (approx. ¼ mile away); Attack by Lee's Corps (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Johnson-Blalock House (approx. half a mile away); Lee's Corps Withdrawn (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jonesboro.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 10, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 596 times since then. Last updated on June 5, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 10, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.