Georgetown in Georgetown County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 1940 by the City of Georgetown. (Marker Number 22-2 (Q).)
Location. 33° 22.095′ N, 79° 16.833′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, South Carolina, in Georgetown County. Marker is on Highmarket Street (U.S. 521) west of Screven Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Georgetown SC 29440, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Prince George’s Parish Church, Winyah (within shouting distance of this marker); Prince George Winyah Church (within shouting distance of this marker); William Doyle Morgan House (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Only Colonial Banking House in America (about 600 feet away); Georgetown County Courthouse (about 600 feet away); Beth Elohim Cemetery (about 700 feet away); Bethel Church (about 700 feet away); Screven Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
Also see . . . Georgetown and Georgetown County, South Carolina, History. “By 1729, Georgetown was a busy seaport, with cargo ever flowing down-river on barges and flats. Imports and exports created wealth beyond imagination. The citizens of the Georgetown District petitioned the King of England to have a port, which was officially granted in 1732 with the arrival of the King's "Collector of Customs". The slow and heavily ladened merchant ships were easy pickings for pirates, who darted out from the labyrinth of hidden bays in the barrier islands to plunder without respect for life. Some of the most famous pirates in history lurked offshore.... ‘Blackbeard,’ ‘Caesar,’ and ‘Red Anny,’ to name a few.” (Submitted on April 28, 2008.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 27, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,024 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on April 27, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 2. submitted on April 28, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.