Ellicott City in Howard County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Patapsco Female Institute
Under Mrs. Phelps' direction, PFI flourished as a leading educational institution for young women. From 1842 through 1856, attendance rose
Mrs. Phelps and her husband provided significant funds of their own to improve facilities. PFI gained a national reputation for its high academic standards in areas of natural history, mathematics and the sciences. It was the first institution to teach mathematics to girls and, for many of the years that Mrs. Phelps was principal, was able to attract over 100 students, an impressive number at the time. Mrs. Phelps retired after the death of her daughter in 1856.She continues to be recognized as one of the most influential educators of women in the 19th century.
Mr. Robert Archer assumed the principal position after Mrs. Phelps, and PFI remained successful under his leadership until the start of the Civil War. Unfortunately, matriculation at school dropped quickly during the Civil War and did not recover in its aftermath. One theory for the decline is that students from the south, who prior to the war had enrolled in significant numbers no longer felt safe attending a northern school. The school remained open, however, and, after Mr.Archer's retirement in 1872, his wife Mary Ringgold Archer, took over as principal.
In 1878, Sarah Randolph, a descendant of Thomas Jefferson, became principal. PFI was forced to close in 1891, due to the continued decline in enrollment.
The Patapsco Female Institute is on the National Register of Historic Places and the Women's Heritage Trail due to both its historical significance as a leader of 19th century education for women and its historic physical structures.
This sign is sponsored by the Howard County Women's Bar Association to mark a significant location on Maryland Women's Heritage Trail. The Women's Heritage Trail identifies locations throughout the State are important in women's history.
Location. 39° 16.209′ N, 76° 47.784′ W. Marker is in Ellicott City, Maryland, in Howard County. Marker is on Church Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3727 Church Road, Ellicott City MD 21043, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Patapsco Female Institute (a few steps from this marker); Mount Ida (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Howard County Jail, 1851: (about 500 feet away); Sunflower Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Stone Tavern House The Lauman House (approx. 0.2 miles away); B&O Railroad Station (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hunt's General Store & Millinery Shop (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ellicott City.
Categories. • Education •
More. Search the internet for The Patapsco Female Institute.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 8, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 542 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on June 8, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.