Auburn in Lee County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Colonel Nathaniel J. Scott, from Harris County Georgia, built this house, which he called Pebble Hill, on 100 acres in 1847. With its pyramidal roof and symmetrical lines, the frame house reflects the Greek Revival architecture popular in East Alabama. The half-brother of John J. Harper, the founder of Auburn, Scott served as one of the four commissioners who laid out the town. Auburn's first state legislator, he was a leader in the establishment of the Auburn Female Masonic College in 1847 and the East Alabama Male College (now Auburn University) in 1856. Federal troops encamped at the spring behind Pebble Hill when they invaded Auburn in April 1865.
Erected 2009 by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, the Auburn Heritage Association and Auburn University.
Location. 32° 36.385′ N, 85° 28.382′ W. Marker is in Auburn, Alabama, in Lee County. Marker is at the intersection of South Debardeleben Street and East Magnolia Avenue, on the left when traveling south on South Debardeleben Street. Touch for map. Is now the Caroline Marshall Draughon Center for the Arts & Humanities, part of Auburn University. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 South Debardeleben Street, Auburn AL 36830, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dillard-Lawson House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Baughman-Honour-Stiles House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ebenezer Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Robert Wilton Burton (approx. ¼ mile away); Auburn United Methodist Church Founder's Chapel (approx. 0.4 miles away); City Hall Auburn 1865~Present / The "Loveliest Village" (approx. half a mile away); The Crescent (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Auburn.
Also see . . . Pebble Hill article on Wikipedia. (Submitted on June 15, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 15, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 655 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 15, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.