First Settlement, Church and Cemetery in Logan County, Ohio
First Meeting House and Graveyard in the county. Promoted by Jobe Sharp, first settler, and Thomas Antrim, preacher. Quakers and Methodists alternated meetings until 1813 when first Methodist church was built three miles South.
Built 1807 by Quakers, after home meetings 1804- 1806. First overseer was Joshua Ballinger, 1809. Granted Monthly Meeting in 1811 which continued until Goshen became head of local Friends Society, 1824
Erected 1947 by Logan County Historical Society.
Location. 40° 18.383′ N, 83° 35.009′ W. Marker is near Middleburg, Ohio, in Logan County. Marker is on East Liberty - Middleburg Pike (County Route 152) one mile east of Co Rd 144 (County Route 144), on the left. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Middleburg OH 43336, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Phebe Haines Sharp (approx. half a mile away); Middleburg United Methodist Church Bellringers (approx. 1.1 miles away); Home of John Garwood / Garwoods Mill Site (approx. 1.5 miles away); East Liberty School
More about this marker. Marker was erected 1947 by Logan County Historical Society. Older concrete/stone marker and "fake" headstones were erected early 20th century by local DAR ladies. Actually headstones are further up the hill.
Regarding Darby Creek. "John Garwood" marker ,nearby in East Liberty is associated with this marker. Mrs. Sharp's grave stone is father east on this same road.
Goshen Church marker is also associated with this marker.
Darby Creek Cemetery is also known as Curl Cemetery.
All the names mentioned are in my personal genealogy.
Additional keywords. First Settlement
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 16, 2014, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 577 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 16, 2014, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.