Eau Claire in Eau Claire County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Owen's Gift to the City
John S. and Mary Owen's gift of land for a city park in 1913-14 came as Eau Claire's reputation as a "sawdust city" was already fading into memory. The Owen's came to Wisconsin in 1873 seeking opportunities in lumbering. John was hired as a timber scout for Henry C. Putnam, a well-known land speculator and agent for Cornell University. Cornell owned large tracts of Wisconsin pineland. Through this association and staked by family members in Michigan, Owen started his own milling operation in 1874.
He struggled through years of low prices, and droughts which prevented the floating of logs to the mills. By the 1890s, he owned controlling interests in sawmills at Drummond and Owen. His sawmill at Drummond ran for 48 years. On November 16, 1930, a week after the last pine log had been cut, the mill collapsed. The Owen's again looked westward, this time to Oregon for additional lumbering opportunities.
The Owen's gift of this land to the City is one of several parks donated to the City by various businessmen during this period of Eau Claire's development. Each has provided park and recreational opportunities for the community and preserved valuable open space along Eau Claire's historic waterways for the public to enjoy. Owen's Park picturesque location along the Chippewa River has made it a popular location
Anton and Rae Schilling-Smets and Family
Erected by the Eau Claire Landmarks Commission; Anton and Rae Schilling-Smets and family. (Marker Number 7.)
Location. 44° 48.187′ N, 91° 29.996′ W. Marker is in Eau Claire, Wisconsin, in Eau Claire County. Marker can be reached from 1st Avenue near Chippewa Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is along the Chippewa River Trail in Owen Park. Marker is in this post office area: Eau Claire WI 54703, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Donald I. "Sarge" Boyd (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Roy Wilcox House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Orlando Brice House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Petronilla and James T. Barber House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Immigrants (approx. 0.2 miles away); John S. Owen House (approx. ¼ mile away); Addison Cutter House (approx. ¼ mile away); Anishinabe Akhi (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eau Claire.
More about this marker. photo caption:
John S. Owen, ca. 1873-1880's,
Also see . . .
1. Map of Wisconsin showing the Lands Owned by John S. Owen Lumber Company. (Submitted on June 18, 2014.)
2. John S. Owen House. (Submitted on June 18, 2014.)
3. The Second Period of Lumbering in Clark County, WI. (Submitted on June 18, 2014.)
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 18, 2014, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 330 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 18, 2014, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.