Lacolle in Haut-Richelieu MRC, Quebec — French Canadian Region
Bataille du Moulin de Lacolle / Battle of the Lacolle Mill
Here, on 30 March 1814, Major R.B. Handcock and a British garrison of 500 men of the 13th Regiment Royal Marines, Canadian Fencibles, Voltigeurs and Indians withstood an attack by 4,000 American soldiers on the fortified mill. Daunted by their resistance, General James Wilkinson fell back to the American border, thus ending the last American invasion of Lower Canada during the War of 1812.
Erected by Commission des lieux et monuments historiques du Canada / Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board marker series.
Location. 45° 4.054′ N, 73° 20.62′ W. Marker is in Lacolle, Quebec, in Haut-Richelieu MRC. Marker is at the intersection of Quebec Route 223 and Quebec Route 202, on the right when traveling south on Provincial Route 223. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lacolle, Quebec J0J 1J0, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Blockhaus de la Rivière-Lacolle (about 210 meters away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Blockhaus de la Rivière-Lacolle (about 240 meters away); Caldwell Manor (approx. 3.6 kilometers away); La Bataille d’Odelltown / Battle of Odelltown (approx. 4.4 kilometers away); Fort Montgomery (approx. 7.6 kilometers away in the U.S.); The Royal Navy (approx. 8.3 kilometers away); Fort Lennox (approx. 8.5 kilometers away); Chantier Naval de Île-aux-Noix (approx. 8.8 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lacolle.
Also see . . . Battle of Lacolle Mill - The Canadian Encyclopedia. (Submitted on April 20, 2014, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.)
Categories. • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 28, 2011, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 728 times since then and 19 times this year. Last updated on June 18, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 28, 2011, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.