Austin in Memphrémagog MRC, Quebec — French Canadian Region
Reginald Aubrey Fessenden
1866 - 1932
A pioneer in the field of radio communication, Fessenden was born in East Bolton Township. He left Canada in 1884 and, while a school principal in Bermuda, became a self-taught expert on telecommunication theory. This expertise led to research appointments in the United States where he made a number of important discoveries including one to facilitate the audible reception of radio waves. After 1912 he concentrated on problems concerning marine navigation, inventing the fathometer (a sonic depth finder) and, during the First World War, an instrument for detecting submarines.
Erected by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.
Location. 45° 11.035′ N, 72° 16.81′ W. Marker is in Austin, Quebec Touch for map. One mile south of the marker is the Saint Benedict's Abbey (Abbaye de Saint-Benoit-du-Lac), renowned for a tranquil setting. The monks of the abbey are makers of fine cheeses and apple cider from their apple orchards. The cathedral's organ is most impressive, weighing over eight (8) tons and composed of 2,692 wind pipes. Marker is in this post office area: Austin, Quebec J0B 1B0, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 26 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Former Bolton Township Hall (approx. 6.3 kilometers away); Vermont (approx. 24.5 kilometers away in the U.S.); Haskell Free Library and Opera House (approx. 24.5 kilometers away in the U.S.).
Also see . . .
1. Reginald Fessenden - Wikipedia. (Submitted on August 4, 2011, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
2. Reginald Fessenden - The Canadian Encyclopedia. The first "wireless" (radio) broadcast was sent by Canadian inventor Reginald Fessenden in 1906 (Submitted on April 20, 2014, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.)
3. National Historic Person - Reginald Aubrey Fessenden. (Submitted on July 30, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Categories. • Communications • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 1, 2011, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 703 times since then and 9 times this year. Last updated on June 18, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 1, 2011, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.