Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Knowlton in Brome-Missisquoi MRC, Quebec — French Canadian Region
 

Tibbits Hill School

 
 
Tibbits Hill School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jacques Titolo, 2014
1. Tibbits Hill School Marker
Inscription. Old south schoolhouse Tibbits Hill built 1844-1846 on site of squared log one erected 1827. Set up as a school museum with aid of Association of Protestant Teachers in their centennial year 1964.
 
Erected 1964 by Commission des Monuments Historiques du Quebec.
 
Location. 45° 13.361′ N, 72° 33.11′ W. Marker is near Knowlton, Quebec, in Brome-Missisquoi MRC. Marker is at the intersection of Centre and Tibbits Hill, on the right when traveling east on Centre. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 107 du Centre, Knowlton, Quebec J0E 1V0, Canada.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 16 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Old Academy (approx. 3.5 kilometers away); Former Bolton Township Hall (approx. 15.5 kilometers away).
 
More about this marker. The marker is attached to the door of the old schoolhouse. The English text is preceded by the same text in French.
 
Regarding Tibbits Hill School. Other nearby descriptive marker provides the following additional information: Tibbits Hill School (1844-1846): made of solid field stones and equipped with sash windows. History: In 1827, a small school
Tibbits Hill School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jacques Titolo, May 2014
2. Tibbits Hill School Marker
(Marker is attached to the door of the old schoolhouse, descriptive marker is in the foreground)
opened its doors on this site. In 1846, the building made of squared logs was replaced by the present building. Schoolchildren sat on stumps. Later, benches were built where the students sat four per bench. Starting in 1910, new floors, a new stove and new desks were installed, but in 1928, the school closed its doors. The building was given to the Brome County Historical Society in 1937. In 1964, on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of Quebec's Protestant institutions, the society transformed the school into a museum. The former school now displays a commemorative plaque from Quebec's monuments and historic sites commission. Architecture: The building was built on the foundations of a square log house built in 1827. With its stocky appearance and square structure, the school looks like a pioneer house.
 
Additional keywords. Brome Lake, Lac Brome
 
Categories. Education
 
Tibbits Hill School image. Click for full size.
By Jacques Titolo, 2014
3. Tibbits Hill School
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 1, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 409 times since then and 43 times this year. Last updated on June 18, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 1, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement