Forest City in Meeker County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Site of Forest City Stockade
Location. 45° 11.726′ N, 94° 27.751′ W. Marker is in Forest City, Minnesota, in Meeker County. Marker can be reached from 309th Street 0.2 miles east of Minnesota Highway 24, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Litchfield MN 55355, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Forest City War Memorial (approx. half a mile away); G.A.R. Hall (approx. 5.5 miles away); Grand Army of the Republic Hall / Litchfield's Historic Downtown (approx. 5.6 miles away); Civil War Monument (approx. 6.6 miles away); Legion Memorial Park (approx. 6.9 miles away); Kingston Veterans Memorial (approx. 7.3 miles away); Veterans Park (approx. 8.5 miles away); Eden Valley Veterans Memorial (approx. 9.7 miles away).
Regarding Site of Forest City Stockade.
Also see . . .
1. Forest City Stockade. (Submitted on June 20, 2014.)
2. 1862 Dakota War. "It was the largest Indian war in American history. The main battleground was the entire Minnesota River Valley in southern and central Minnesota. The uprising spread into the Dakota Territories and sent panic into Nebraska, Iowa and Wisconsin.... To this day, [the] number of civilians killed on American soil as a result of hostile action is exceeded only by the attacks on 9/11." (Submitted on June 20, 2014.)
3. The US-Dakota War of 1862. Minnesota Historical Society. (Submitted on June 20, 2014.)
4. U.S.-Dakota War of 1862. Historic Fort Snelling. "Intermittent fighting continued between the U.S. military and the Dakota nation in the western territories throughout the late 1800s, culminating at Wounded Knee (Submitted on June 20, 2014.)
5. Dakota War of 1862. Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on June 20, 2014.)
Additional keywords. U.S.–Dakota War of 1862
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 20, 2014, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 370 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 20, 2014, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.