Buffalo Gap in Taylor County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Buﬀalo Gap College
In Operation 1885-1902; Site Two Blocks West
First president was W.H. White. College had greatest success under J.M. Wagstaff. Presidents later were J.W. Melton, R.W. Benge, E.W. Dorian, J.N. Ellis, John Collier, J.B. Clay, and (again) W.H. White.
The two-story, red sandstone building had four classrooms on the first floor, an auditorium on the second, and a belfry. The curriculum included courses in Latin, Greek, Christian evidence, physics, calculus, and music.
Erected 1968 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 560.)
Location. 32° 16.83′ N, 99° 49.596′ W. Marker is in Buffalo Gap, Texas, in Taylor County. Marker is at the intersection of West Street and Vine Street, on the left when traveling south on West Street. Touch for map. Marker is located at the Old Settlers Reunion Grounds. Marker is in this post office area: Buffalo Gap TX 79508, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Town of Buffalo Gap (here, next to this marker); Vicinity of Indian Fight (here, next to this marker); The Ernie Wilson Museum (approx. 0.4 miles away); Taylor County (approx. 0.4 miles away); Buffalo Gap Cemetery (approx. 1.8 miles away); a different marker also named Taylor County (approx. 4 miles away); The Civilian Conservation Corps at Abilene State Park (approx. 4.3 miles away); Cedar Gap Community (approx. 4.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Buffalo Gap.
Also see . . . Buffalo Gap College. From the Texas State Historical Association's “The Handbook of Texas”. (Submitted on June 23, 2014.)
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 23, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 307 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 23, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.