Randolph in Tipton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Forts Randolph and Wright
For several months, enlistees from across the state came to the forts to learn to become soldiers. Aided by slaves from the region, they built extensive earthworks and other structures; one brick powder magazine still exists at Fort Wright. Young men who had joined the infantry, cavalry, or artillery companies in their native counties, assembled in these camps and were organized into regiments. One such private was Nathan Bedford Forrest, who began his military career here.
Col. John P. McCown and Maj. Alexander P. Stewart molded and drilled the enlistees at both forts into effective soldiers. The training produced enough skilled gunners to man not only the batteries at these forts, but also the Confederate river defenses near New Madrid, Missouri, later in 1861.
By 1862, most of the men and guns had been reassigned to other defensive positions. The Confederates abandoned
(lower left) "Panorama of the Mississippi Valley," with Memphis and fortifications - Courtesy Library of Congress
(upper center) Gen. Alexander P. Stewart and Gen. William T. Sherman Courtesy Library of Congress
(lower right) This idealized view of a “Confederate camp” was published in London in 1874 Courtesy Library of Congress
Erected by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 35° 31.063′ N, 89° 53.407′ W. Marker is in Randolph, Tennessee, in Tipton County. Marker is on Ballard Slough Road 0.1 miles north of Randolph Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Drummonds TN 38023, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Randolph (a few steps from Randolph United Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Wright, C.S.A. (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Randolph (approx. 7.6 miles away); Outer Breastworks (approx. 8.5 miles away); Confederate Sharpshooters (approx. 9 miles away); Inner Breastworks (approx. 9 miles away); General N.B. Forrest's Command Position (approx. 9.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Randolph.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 23, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 294 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 23, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.